Who does not love chocolate? It is a favourite treat for many people, and sometimes they want to share it with their curious dogs. However, chocolate is bad for your dog, so no matter how much they insist on trying whatever you are having, keep it away from them.
Some types of chocolate are much more harmful than others, but still, make sure you keep your stash of sweets out of your pet’s reach.
In this article, we will explain exactly why chocolate is bad for your pets.
First of all, chocolate, as well as coffee contain a type of stimulant called “theobromine”. It causes increased blood pressure and stimulates the central nervous system and the cardiovascular system. Cats, dogs, horses and some other animals cannot metabolise this element like humans, so the effects are much more severe.
Eating chocolate can cause the following side effects to your dog: digestive problems, rapid heart rate, dehydration, hyperactive, increased urination, diarrhoea, vomiting, etc. Some of these can have a fatal end. The effects of the chocolate depend on the size and the age of the dog. Large dogs can handle chocolate, while older dogs tend to have problems with it.
The type of chocolate also matters. Milk chocolate contains much more theobromine compared to the dark variety. In white chocolate, you will find almost insignificant amounts of the stimulant, so if your dog eats it, it is not as harmful as other types. This is because white chocolate is made of cocoa butter and there are no cocoa solids in it.
If your dogs accidentally eat chocolate, you need to call your vet immediately. Some people induce vomiting, feed their dogs with a tiny amount of activated charcoal and give them a lot of water to keep their body hydrated. All this is done to prevent the theobromine from reaching the blood stream. However, it is best to consult your vet first. The specialists will use certain drugs to help the dog survive.
As much as we enjoy chocolate, we cannot share it with our fur companions. If we want to surprise them with a healthy, treat it is best to get it from specialised pet stores or to ask the vet.