We are already in the spring spirit, and we love the flowers blooming in gardens and vases – but we are also concerned if our dogs are not planning to snack on them. Why? Because the most popular houseplants are dangerous for our pets. The results of a dog munching on one of these can range from an upset stomach to poisoning. There is a whole list of flowers you should keep away from your pet, but we have listed the top 5 most popular flowers, which you need to hide right now.
This beautiful plant is a lovely addition to any interior. With its huge blossoms and bright colours, it is a joy for the eyes. However, if eaten by a dog, it can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, tremors and lack of appetite.
Begonias are another beloved flower. They can be toxic only if a dog eats a lot of them. The symptoms are vomiting and difficulty swallowing.
If you’ve got a bundle of these for your birthday, you should put them out of your dog’s reach. They can cause diarrhoea and vomiting, but only if your pet manages to eat the whole bundle. These do not cause severe damage otherwise.
They are one of the first flowers welcoming the spring. They create a bright, yellow carpet, tender and beautiful. Eating these will lead to symptoms like low blood pressure, heart problems, tremors, and vomiting.
If your dog loves helping you with gardening and managed to dig up the tulip bulbs you just planted and of course decided to snack on them, this can cause some problems. The result would be increased heart rate, issues breathing, mouth irritation and diarrhoea.
There are more flowers which are toxic or even deadly to dogs, so make sure you research the plants you want in your home or garden. If your dog ate some flowers, you better contact your vet immediately.